|Job Title:||Head of Smart|
Head of Smart
An exciting and innovative entrant into the energy market providing simple to understand tariffs and outstanding customer service for its customers and members are seeking a confident program director to support the rollout of Smart Meters across the UK.
The UK Government is requiring Energy suppliers across the UK to install 53 Million Smart gas and electricity meters in 30 million domestic and smaller non domestic properties in the UK.
The Government has set out rules to ensure that they do this in a way that is in the interests of consumers, including rules around:
• data access and privacy
• technical standards for the smart metering equipment
• meeting the needs of vulnerable consumers
Smart meters will be rolled out as standard across the country by 2020. But there will not be a legal obligation on individuals to have one. Energy companies will be required to install smart meters and take all reasonable steps to reach everyone.
This employer has a key role to play in rolling out smart meters to all its customers and are looking for a Head of Smart to lead the Smart Transformation Program.
Overall responsibility for the Smart transformation programme in Energy. This includes:
• Delivery of Smart metering system capability; both prepayment and credit
• Design and implementation of the Smart meter roll out plan
• Commercial engagement and contract management with our suppliers
• Management of the enduring target operating model for Smart.
• Business Change and readiness to prepare the business
Responsible for establishing time-limited project teams to design, develop, test and implement new Smart processes and systems to strategically align with the employer’s Smart strategy
Representing the employer within the Midcounties and externally, with suppliers, customers and with governing bodies.
Occasionally situations may arise that require the post holder to perform other duties or tasks as may be reasonably requested by the Society.
The post holder shall be responsible for:
• Full-cycle of programme delivery from target operating model development, business case preparation through all stages of planning and delivery.
• Ensure on-time and in-budget delivery of high-profile programmes through appropriate governance.
• Utilising of industry-standard frameworks and methodologies (MSP, Agile, PRINCE II, and Six Sigma).
• Developing and managing internal and external stakeholder relationships at up to board level.
• Commercial engagement and contract management, including with onshore/offshore suppliers.
• Risk and change management with a focus on identifying and mitigating potential issues.
• Maintain an up to date knowledge of Smart industry developments and legislation advising the business of relevant developments and helping the business to adapt to relevant changes.
• Business transformation and readiness to ensure business is ready to operate in a smart world
Dimension of the Role
• Reports to: Chief Commercial Officer. Be part of the Senior Management Team
• Be responsible for management of up to 50 colleagues
• Budget accountability of £3.5M. Budgetary Control: Capital budget of over £4M p.a. with the authority to sign off work to a maximum of £10k.
• External Contacts: Executive senior external representatives of supply chain, third party IT suppliers
• Internal Contacts: CIO Central IT, Head of Internal Audit, Senior Energy Team, Executives.
– Co-operation –
Working closely with members on energy issues
Gain commitment through encouraging Society membership
Committed to supporting the local community
Proven track record in negotiation and managing relationships
– People –
Strong leadership & influencing skills
Proven ability to establish personal credibility
Awareness of the importance of encouraging diversity
Excellent communication skills – both verbal & written
for different audiences
Proven ability to create and manage effective permanent and temporary teams
Excellent customer service knowledge and skills
Strong customer focus; specifically in a Smart world
Proven track record of achievement within quality
Able to balance the demands of a range of stakeholders
– Delivery –
Able to see through plans with authority, effectiveness and ethical approaches
Knowledge of quality and improvement models such as ISO etc
Experience of strategic planning and business administration
Proven track record of delivering multiple and complex programmes and projects which combine business and IT
Proven track record in delivering continuous business improvement
A working knowledge of and proven experience with quality systems, business development and management
Planning and organising
Strong negotiating skills
Ability to work on own initiative
Open to change
Excellent IT skills – Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Ability to set and manage budgets and deliver projects on budget
Good understanding of budgetary restraints
Recognised ability to cut costs
Management of expenses
– Qualifications –
Able to demonstrate continuing professional development
Project management qualification(s) (e.g. MSP for practitioners, PRINCE II for practitioners, Scrum – Master)
5+ years of working in Utilities
2+ years of senior responsibility on the Smart GB programme in the energy sector
Fuel Recruitment acts as both an Employment Business and an Employment Agency.