|Job Title:||Software Engineer – C|
|Salary:||£40,000 - £44,000 (DOE)|
Software Design Engineer
The employer is a dynamic and fast growing Midlands based medical device company established to commercialize an innovative and disruptive medical imaging technology researched and developed at one of the top UK universities. A strong management team including one of the UKs leading researchers in Quantum Information. We have built a well-funded business to apply this technology to a real clinical need, bringing a real change to how patients are diagnosed in hospital Emergency Units.
Working closely across specialties the engineering team is tasked to bring innovative and creative solutions to translate the fundamental physics principles from leading edge university research to reliable and safe medical devices that make a real difference to patients’ lives. You would be working under strong leadership, with the research teams to bring a new technology to market.
All team members must demonstrate the highest professional and personal standards, be flexible and open minded and be willing to be stretched and challenged. Remuneration for the role will reflect this “best in class” attitude and skill set.
The Software Design Engineer is will lead aspects of software development for the next iteration of our medical diagnostics system.
They shall adhere to the applicable medical regulatory and quality standards.
The individual will report to Lead Software Engineer
• Design, create and debug software for ‘bare metal’ systems (either no OS or home-grown simple OS)
• Create modular, testable code while adhering to company coding standards
• Follow the software development process flow in a controlled environment
• Review, analyse and improve existing project documentation
• Use software management tools such as version control system (either centralised or distributed), and issue management systems
• Develop software under IEC62304 workflow (an experience in similar standard such as ISO26262 will be considered)
• Read and review schematics produced by electronics team (this role does not require electronics design skills)
• Debug electronics issues together with electronics team by creating specific software tests that will exercise certain hardware features.
• Create new project documentation by following appropriate standards (either internal or external)
• Follow project flow as outlined in Quality Management System
• Assist test engineers in defining test procedures
• Able to interact with QA and understand their requirements for software design process
• Review and validate test results if and when required
Please note these tasks are summary examples and not necessarily a comprehensive list.
Key Knowledge & Personal Skills
• Expert knowledge and proven experience of C programming language
• Knowledge of interrupt handling, bootloaders, real-time system response, flash operations and peripheral programming
• Must be able to understand code written by others (including 3rd-parties)
• Defensive programming and safety-critical programming knowledge such as MISRA
• Understanding of microcontrollers’ architectural principles and of the ‘building blocks’ of a modern embedded processor
• Knowledge of embedded system hardware peripheral blocks low-level operation (such as GPIO, ADC, SPI, USB, UART, etc.)
• Ability to use design/debugging tools and instruments (oscilloscopes, multimeters, function generators, programmable power supplies, logic analysers, JTAG)
• Good understanding of ARM processors architecture working understanding of Microsoft Office suite.
• Must be comfortable working in a small flexible, multidisciplinary and dynamic team
• Must have a current and valid UK / European driving licence.
• Willing to assist other team member (software or other disciplines).
• Able to work under time pressure.
• Able to travel domestically and internationally if and when required (such travel will be kept to an absolute minimum).
• Must have unrestricted right to work in the UK
– Understanding of Assemblers (ARM, Thumb, Thumb2)
– Experience of software engineering adhering to FDA specification
– Understanding of RTOS principles
– Ability to create software for Windows desktop OS
– Knowledge of Windows OS from programmer’s perspective
– Knowledge of C# programming language
– Knowledge of Python language
Fuel Recruitment acts as both an Employment Business and an Employment Agency.